2.11.2005

Jimmy Smith 1925 - 2005

A couple of posts ago, I proclaimed my love for the Hammond B-3 organ, and it's use in jazz music. The pioneer and master of the style I am so drawn too passed away at the age of 79. Jimmy Smith performed with the boldness of royalty and was considered the ultimate genius of the jazz organ. The organ was more than an instrument to Mr. Smith. It seemed to be an extension of his body. He spawned copious amounts of imitators but he possessed flare and moxie that goes unmatched. He will be missed.



Chicago Sun Times article

Buy Jimmy Smith Recordings Here

Jumpin' The Blues.mp3

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He will truly be missed. He should be credited with allowing me to find jazz music, because he bridged the gap between soul and jazz music, while still swingin' like no one else.

2/11/2005  
Anonymous Josh said...

He was truly the best, Jimmy McGriff may have been funkier ,Charles Earland may have swung as hard, Joey D might have better chops, but nobody could do to me what Jimmy did (basically, give me goose bumps every time he touched the Hammond.) Alls I can say is, I'm SO THANKFULL that I got to see him perform live. Unlike others of his magnitude that I never got to see (Miles,Trane, Monk, Mingus. .etc).

2/12/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home